Friday, April 19, 2019

Revelations


Last June, I walked to Rowlands Creek Falls again.  I had been there with the children the year before, and it sparked so many memories and reflections in those early Autumn days.  For weeks, my dreams took me to other places and times, and then mixed them up.  The past became my future, and I wondered how that could ever be.  It filled my drifting mind and showed me small glimmers of hope.  This hike was a chance to consider all of that again.

  
I was looking for the elusive bottom of the falls, as they are 150' long.  I had various attempts at bushwhacking, all fruitless and a little precarious.  Did they stretch the hillside and make it steeper scrambling back up?  All the same, I did carefully make my way down to enjoy it all.  I had wonderful empowering revelations along the way, chances to consider the new life before me and marvel at it all.  Joy mixed with pain, as a fair part of the Summer was.  I was so anxious to see what was ahead.  Optimism and caution wrestled back and forth. 


Standing in Rowlands Creek, my beloved sandals gave out.  It wasn't too bad--they were still able to make the walk in one piece.  But, retirement was swift.  As good as I am at getting rid of things, I put these in my archives, a memorial to many adventures.  It was almost a moment of jubilation, and I laughed at myself.  So much laughter in the months to follow.  After fifteen years, a new chapter was beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Brandy, I’ve said it before, and I will say it again: you are a gifted writer. Love these falls photos and the empowering revelations they gave to you as you searched for the bottom. And now you need new shoes.
    Pure poetry, my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel so much more adept at writing than speaking. ;-) I did get new shoes, Chacos to celebrate the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act. <3 I'm trying to walk the soles off another pair now.

      Delete