Monday, May 1, 2017

When I Hear a Storm :: Verses and Songs that Comfort


I'm going to build a little house, 
With windows big and bright,
With chimney tall and curling smoke,
Drifting out of sight.
In winter when the snowflakes fall, 
Or when I hear a storm,
I'll go sit in my little house, 
Where I'll be snug and warm.

Spindrift :: Wynstones


We're preparing for some big nature adventures this week, but we're also expecting some stormy weather.  We're hoping to dodge the storms, of course!  In this season, it's a help to have some comforting verses and songs for children to hear, and to know that we're always there for them whenever they feel scared or overwhelmed.  That is the heart of parenting--the connection.  I'll admit that the world has felt scary to me lately, too, though I choose to keep news stories out of my children's lives while they are young. These verses help me to feel comforted as well.  There are few things so dear as the steady love of mother and father and that is what I wish to give my children.
 
My pigeon house I open wide,
And set all the birdies free.
They fly so high way in the sky,
And perch on the nearest tree. 
And when they return 
From their merry, merry flight,
They close their eyes and say goodnight.
Coo roo, coo roo, coo roo, coo roo,
Coo roo, coo roo, coo roo.

Traditional

The earth is firm beneath my feet,
The sun shines bright above
And here I stand so straight and strong,
All things to know and love.

Spindrift :: Wynstones

When cold winds blow,
And bring us snow, 
At night what I like most
Is to climb in my bed
And hide my head,
And sleep as warm as toast!

Gateways :: Wynstones

As I go to sleep each night, 
An angel watches o'er me,
And fills my soul with flooding light,
And guides me to the stars so bright, 
And blesses me each morning.

The Incarnating Child :: Joan Salter


4 comments:

  1. These ARE very comforting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I was thinking of you and your bedtime visualizations the other day. :-)

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful and yes I imagine a good comfort - you are right it is always helpful to have some comforting verses on hand. What a lovely Mummy you are!

    ReplyDelete