Thursday, November 16, 2017

Nature School :: Places to Go at the End of the World


We had our quarterly (or so) outing with Dr. Davis this week.  Up to Elk Garden to see the sleeping forest.  There is no smoke to cloud the view and no crunchy grass to walk over.  Even so, I can tell that the slow desertification of the Appalachian rainforests is happening.  Streams that flowed when I was younger, ones that iced over in the cold winters, are now dry.


Does it ever feel funny to be alive right now?  I suppose every generation must have said something similar.  There is always some looming threat, small or large, and ours is climate change.  It reminds me of the introduction from Michael Chabon in D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths:

We all grew up--all of us, from the beginning--in a time of violence and invention, absurdity and Armageddon. . . I took comfort, as a kid, in knowing that things had always been as awful and as wonderful as they were now, that the world was always on the edge of total destruction. . .


There are times that I just want to run away to these mountains and lose myself deep in a mist-shrouded valley or on a ridge covered in stunted trees, never to come out again.  I know that running away is a fantasy of children and adults, alike.  Too bad I don't seem to find it when I am asleep.  I think I need a real vacation, completely alone, to be in some wild place for a day or two. . .  The introverts dream.

8 comments:

  1. That was interesting to read about how the Norse folk felt the same about their times and how the world was going. There is something quite destructive and self destructive even in humanity. Yes there have been challenges throughout history. I can relate to the wanting to be totally alone for a day or two, lost to the world. I did it on a small scale last year and it was wonderful. I won't manage this year and I feel very much in need too. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it made me feel a little better to read his words. I hope you can get some time away soon.

      Delete
  2. That is such a beautiful thing, to have married on a boulder in the forest! And to take your children there. I hope you find some peaceful alone time for yourself soon, if only for an afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I may get a little time tomorrow. Always decluttering. ;-)

      Delete
    2. You know, you don't have to spend all of your alone time decluttering... you could always go take a solitary walk in the woods... ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes, you are right. Having only one car makes it a little tricky sometimes. :-) Maybe I can find an hour for myself tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Yes I second that. Hope you can find that time. These times can sustain us.

    ReplyDelete