Saturday, November 18, 2017

November, Inside and Out


I've come to enjoy the waiting times almost as much (or maybe more?).  There is something about that pause before the big out-breath of color or celebration or flowers that is so special.  November is a time to keep, for sure.  I'm making lots of cranberry mors these days, several times a week, always eyeing my honey supply.  I've upped the water to eight cups, and I added in a few extras like orange zest or sliced apples that were not so great for eating fresh.  Star anise makes all the difference, but it's still very good with powdered ginger and spices. 


I made Susan Branch's star croutons (and discovered that I do like them, just not the rocks served on salads) and tomato bisque (that's your cheese, Kim!)  The croutons are from Christmas from the Heart of the Home and go like this: tiny cutouts (I used the end of a loaf of whole wheat), 2 parts butter, 1 part oil, healthy dose of garlic, toast in skillet.  I always use way more garlic than a recipe recommends.  Always.


We are horse sitters, again, as my parents have gone out to the original Old Davis Homeplace in Missouri.  The children love Golden Boy and he loves them, though he would love us more if we had grain for him or some of those long-gone September apples. . . I think Willow is mimicking his movable ears here.


I'm getting excited about Christmas and formulating some things to say about our plans this year, as always.  I like to keep a list of presents past for the children, as I forget so quickly.  I will say that my plans this year involve fewer baked, sweet things.  This is for health, in addition to easing my mind about the to-do list.  Oh, and look at this holly at my parents' house!  The trees near us in town are covered, too.  Holly in all the rooms!  I even have a wee green glass vase, just like my mother's big one she always fills with holly. 


Speaking of plants that are so beautiful right now, the blueberries are on fire with color.  Ours are a wonderful red-orange here in town, and my parents' are a purpley-pink as you can see.  The oaks are the last trees to come into their own with colorful leaves.  I love that the background of this photo has one of the children of the old-growth oaks.  Oh, to turn back time.  Roan would have loved those trees.


And some sheep for Willow, always sheep.  When I was little, there weren't many folks raising sheep, as best as I can recall.  Now, they are everywhere here.  Willow used to ask me to take alternate sheep-free routes if she had not brought her Lamby in the car, but now every road seems to have them.  Sheep and donkeys litter the landscape in the sweetest, softest way.  Maybe if my parents' field is still clear when the Old Davis Homeplace becomes mine. . .

Well, it's time to get up, I guess.  I think I hear someone stirring inside the house--the computer now lives on the enclosed back porch, which is also quickly becoming a library.

Happy final-weekend-before-the-speedy-slide-to-the-end-of-the-year!

8 comments:

  1. Ah what a lovely horse your parents have! The cranberry mors looks so warm and comforting. As does the soup! Like the special touch of the star shaped croutons 🙂. We are eating lots of soup and drinking mulled apple juice. Tis the season. 🙂 Good for you preparing for Advent. You are right, from next weekend things will start moving at a faster pace towards Christmas and the New Year! Life will get busier in a good way and it is nice to have a slow in breath beforehand 🌈 Is the old Davis home place your parents place? And what about the original one? I am intrigued! Amazing to see all those berries on the holly trees. I never see any here as you need both a male and female nearby to make the berries. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Old Davis Homeplace is their home. My grandma Lois used to call it "The Farm," as it was once part of a much larger property.

      The Real Farm is near Rolla, Missouri and is the house where my grandad grew up without running water or electricity in the 20s and 30s. It is still much the same as it was, a sort of time capsule for the last forty years. I am hoping my parents took photos, as I have never seen it.

      We have lots of hollies here, in the woods and in yards. I wish we had more mistletoe, but it must like a milder climate. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for filling me in 🙂 You mention it a lot so was wondering...hope you got to see some photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to find a photo of my parents' home in the early days--they built the house themselves (with some pretty wonderful masons and carpenters).

      Delete
  3. Wow that's so amazing- would be interested in seeing it. Is Dr Davis your dad? Just wondering as you mentioned him recently! Hope i'm not seeming nosey! Just interested 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not nosy; I'm probably just confusing. :-) He was my advisor in college and we happened to have the same last name. People used to think he was my dad, so we still joke about it. I have several friends who are old enough to be my parents and Dr. Davis is one. :-)

      Delete
  4. Ah thanks for clarifying 🙂 How lovely that you have kept in touch and become friends. I have noticed only children often get on well with their parent's generation. Lots of time spent in adult company perhaps? It's great to have friends of all ages I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. :-) I always felt I fit in with that generation better. I was very much a young person in my time, but their good example rubbed off.

      Delete