Monday, September 11, 2017

Autumn Weekend

Harvest home! Harvest home! 
Merry, merry, merry harvest home!
~Larkrise to Candleford :: Flora Thompson
 

Fourth and fifth grades arrived, on the tail of the news that Christopherus will cease production of new materials for the time being.  Am I cursed, or something?  Enki did the same thing just after I purchased their kindergarten materials.  I am blessed, really, to be able to get these things while they were still available.  I'm really prepared now!  The future of Waldorf homeschooling looks a little shaky right now, but more on that later.  Let me just revel in this stockpile, too.


We brought in most of the garden things that were left, like the potatoes.  Laurel and I had hulled the October beans Friday, I think.  The plants had been sitting for awhile, out of the weather, until I had time.  We cut the corn stalks down for Autumn decorations and brought home a few nice ears that had begun to dry.  We found a few ears with smut on them, as well, which was pretty wild looking.  The pumpkins came home, too, with one left growing.  We didn't get the dozens we did last year, but I never really mind buying a few.  It is such a delight to see the fields here filled with them. 


We went to the Konnarock Community Center, because I simply had to get away from all the work here. The children loved the playground and I loved picking up the silky smooth buckeyes that were all over the ground.  These are wonderful for kitchen play (not eating, of course) and counting, and for all those "conker" crafts in Festivals, Family and Food.  The air was cool and the trees seem to be coloring early this year.


Oh, to be three and so strong in such a small package.  She's a pretty good size three-year old, though, wearing clothes that Willow did when she was five!


It makes me feel so happy to see the leaves like this, though I suppose the passing of time is especially poignant in the Autumn.  I was thinking of Willow who was once so small and is now just a few inches shorter than me.  She is still little on the inside, though, I know.  Her height deceives people.  Sigh.  Well, it was a full, good weekend.


5 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to your dear husband - from across the sea. Katja

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel autumn in this post, and it's very soothing. We're not quite there yet, though the mornings are chilly now. Autumn is my favorite season, and I am especially eager to enjoy it to the fullest this year. I love all of your pretty pictures here. I hope Mike had a happy birthday! I laughed at the part about the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has come early this year--there are trees on our street putting on gold leaves and the dogwoods are really changing. Thank you for the birthday wishes. The oven is right again and baking some cinnamon buns this morning.

      Delete
  3. Gosh that must have been a shock with the oven blowing like that! Was funny how you described it as fireworks ;-) I am feeling very wistful right now about my girls growing up too. I wonder if it is autumn and the start of a new school year and all that growth over the summer. I don't know, but I feel the same...where does the time go. Sounds like you gave your husband a nice celebration. Looks like you have done lots of lovely harvesting - lots of work for you though so I don't blame you for wanting to go outside for some fun! We are not yet at conker time here. Enjoy all that autumn has to offer.

    ReplyDelete