Friday, September 8, 2017

School Scenes


 Oh, it has been chilly this week!  The warm weather blew out and brought rain and cold.  We had our first fire in the fireplace last night and it warmed the living room nicely.  It's too bad, I think, that the fireplace isn't connected to the more central chimney in the house.  The furnace has that one, so I won't complain too much.  It was around fifty degrees for nature school, and quite damp outside, so we welcomed the chance to walk and warm up.


Inside, we have marched along with our form drawings and other skills.  Roan has made real progress, offering proof that letting a lesson sleep for a few days does help.  He's been learning to use his block crayons, as well, and that has provided another challenge and opportunity for triumph.  He felt so proud when he was able to make a tree the way I showed him.  I think these things will help his patience grow.  He's often a slow-and-steady person, but has some areas that need improvement.  We all do.


Willow is working on a calendar with Roman numerals, in addition to reviewing second grade forms.  We're using the smaller size practice books turned sideways, with a page for the dates and a page for the seasonal picture and month name.  I also decided that the little shepherd could help her mark the date each day on the nature table.


Here's her picture inspired by the Bonnie Shemie book on mound-building, Mounds of Earth and Shell.  The children were especially fascinated by these people and we do have some nearby mounds we might visit.  Willow really loved filling up the page with people.  You can see that her handwriting here is a real departure from her normal.  I had a long sentence for her to write, so I penciled it in and she traced over it.  It shows me the potential she has, and I am excited to help her make progress.

Well, today is shopping day and a school day, so I better get a move on!  I'm tempted to turn on the furnace, but I'm resisting.  Some rice pudding on the stove and hot tea will be welcome!

4 comments:

  1. I love the little Shepherd counting the days - good idea! And Willow's picture is lovely - I was just thinking how beautiful the writing is. I am sorry I totally forgot to answer your message about the calendar Heidi made. It has the month written at the top, a square underneath with a picture of something seasonal drawn in crayons in it and then the numbers of the months (no days or it would only last a year). One of her pictures was here https://amothershares.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/weekly-update/
    but it didn't have the whole page on it - her numbers were a bit all over the place, but we love to have the calendar up, despite its imperfections - imperfectly perfect :-) Stay warm. It's turned rainy here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the calendar. :-) I love the perfectly imperfect things they make.

      Delete
  2. It looks like school is coming along beautifully! I love the shepherd and the sheep - mine loved learning Roman numerals with the shepherd and his sticks. It's just so special. Those Bonnie Shemie books are great, aren't they? I have to ask, does that say Cahokia in the drawing? As in the site in Illinois? I've been there! I took a (long!) day trip there back in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need to improve my story, but the shepherd is such a jolly fellow. He might have to visit for Advent, too. That is Cahokia, yes. The books are a real help, as I'll admit I don't think I paid attention during that part of history. ;-)

      Delete