Saturday, May 5, 2018

Pause


I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.


I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.


I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gyspy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.



~"Sea-Fever" ~ John Masefield :: As taken from The Waldorf Book of Poetry


The children saw the ocean for the first time on Sunday.  It was both new and old to me, as I hadn't been in such a very long time.  We camped right in front of the water at a place that goes back to my mother's childhood.  It was a trip that left me feeling torn--I was anxious to keep on with things here.  I knew getting away was needed, like the final step of a long walk or an intersection between trails.  I'll call it a pause, then, a chance to spend some time in daydream and reflection before getting back to work.

I'm now a "long walks on the beach" person, and I took one at the end of nearly every day.  I went under the guise of photographing my dad's kites in action.  The waves gave a wonderful backdrop to my own thoughts and small revelations.  I think people see my situation as a very sad one, but it isn't.  It's glaringly, staggeringly hope-filled.  I have to stop myself from running wildly into the future.

Coming back to the mountains, back to feeling "hemmed in" again, was emotional.  Willow teased me a little, but I do so love this place.  It really is forever a part of me, as much as some other places beckon me to visit.

 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely get away with your family. Love the beachy nature table. We live by the sea and I love my walks on the cliffs and am happy living here, but it doesn't stop me appreciating and loving landlocked places like Colorado. There is beauty and peace in so many places. I like leaving home and travelling regularly because it gives me fresh perspectives and ideas. Often getting away can make you appreciate what you have. Sounds like you are torn between all the possibilities. Glad you are feeling so positive going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must tell me where you live so I can picture you there. I am falling in love with the British Isles as I read more about them. Yes, possibilities. Some of them are trying to bowl me over. :-)

      Delete
    2. Sounds intriguing 🙂 I live in a quiet area west of Brighton on the South east coast. Sussex is a beautiful county to explore. Are your ancestors originally from the U.K.?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing. :-) Yes, some of them are, at least my Appalachian ancestors. Have you ever studied how the traditions came from the UK to the mountains here? It's really interesting.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful photos! I am so glad you enjoyed your time away, and felt the deep thoughts of the sea. But home is always best. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is elberethmyrrh, by the way. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Yes, it was so nice, so helpful, so cleansing. I now think the ocean should figure into life's great transitions. I know you knew that already. ;-)

      Delete