Saturday, April 28, 2018

There's a place called Far-away Meadow
We never shall mow in again,
Or such is the talk at the farmhouse:
The meadow is finished with men.
Then now is the chance for the flowers
That can't stand mowers and plowers.
It must be now, through, in season
Before the not mowing brings trees on,
Before trees, seeing the opening,
March into a shadowy claim.
The trees are all I'm afraid of,
That flowers can't bloom in the shade of;
It's no more men I'm afraid of;
The meadow is done with the tame.
The place for the moment is ours
For you, oh tumultuous flowers,
To go to waste and go wild in,
All shapes and colors of flowers,
I needn't call you by name.

 ~"The Last Mowing" :: Robert Frost

My path to enlightenment is paved with waving grasses and the sweet violets of Spring.  It rained all week, setting the grass to seed and giving me a weekend full of mowing.  That's my primary work, at the moment.  A woman with a mower and a wide-brimmed hat.  If a man with a plow walked 5+ miles to an acre, well, I guess that's me, too.  I mowed the berry patch and peach orchard today, and I felt it looked like heaven.  The thick grass, the blooming trees, the promise of things to come.

I've been reading The Old Ways lately, a book about walking and places. Robert MacFarlane walks all manner of places, both local and abroad.  He talks at length about melancholic people walking to cope with the world.  I suppose it is my dream life.  I have been taking the other good weather time to see the wild places, alone and with the children.  I will walk my way to the sublime, whether it be on a gentle hillside or the shores of a lake.

I feel the strong need to be alone lately, like I could never get my fill of it, though I know I will.  I have been alone a long time, though this is new.  I guess what I want is privacy, the chance to have complete thoughts and get lost in daydreams.  I can see visions of my life to come and visions of the lives that once tended the places I mow.  I have been doing that a lot lately.  Some pictures are so clear, I hardly know what to do with them.  "Time will tell" is my new maxim.

4 comments:

  1. Ah walking! So good for the melancholic temperament - I would totally agree with that. It always clears my head and that's when inspiration comes in or I find peace. I get times like that too, when I just want to get away and be on my own for a long time; to retreat so I can think clearly, dream and just be me. It barely ever happens, except for the occasional day...I hope you get what you need. That mowing sounded meditative and the place you are mowing sounds gorgeous. Is that around your home or your parents? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I took some wonderful walks on the beach this week. They were just what I needed. I am taking lots of time for dreaming lately. The place is around my home. :-)

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have all that space. Lots of work though or is it easy to maintain. Keep up those walks ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is three hours of mowing, plus lots of limbs to trim and so forth. It's all worth it though and good work for me.

      Delete