Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Golden Cold


We had quite the cold snap here, with Sunday topping out in the mid-thirties and Monday being only ten degrees warmer.  The wind has been blowing swiftly, keeping us well-wrapped every time we go outside.  More seasonable weather is on the way, but this blast of Winter gave us some very pretty gifts while it was here.



The rime ice was still present yesterday morning, and perhaps a bit thicker, so I took the children to see it.  Well bundled in snowveralls (as I call them), parkas, mittens, hats, scarves, and boots, they enjoyed the biting wind and slippery slopes. 


Well, I'm not sure we enjoyed the biting wind, but it certainly makes one feel mortal!  I didn't put on my coveralls and I really should have.  Never have my legs been so cold!  I've been on some pretty cold campouts and hikes, but the wind beat all.  It's the first cold spell that helps to sort out attitudes and gear, I think.  Willow needs new boots and I need to take more care in my own dressing (after spending twenty minutes getting everyone else sorted out).


But, oh, that golden color.  October, golden you are. . .


Snow-crusted mittens, covered in the refuse of a Summer so quickly gone.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Snow and ice! We are still having very mild weather here, I was in my t-shirt today! Lovely evocative photos. Yes make sure you dress warm too. We moms are often so concerned with keeping our children warm and happy, we forget we also need and deserve that love and attention for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an arctic blast, for sure! The weather is more mild now, not so cold. I hope you all get a proper snow this year. I'll try to do better, I promise.

      Delete
  2. Gosh I hope I didn't sound like I was telling you off! Just caring🌈You have the same star sign as me and a couple of my close friends and Cancerian moms can often put their children first at the expense of themselves. Was just a thought. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Not at all! I put everything ahead of me and then get upset when no one else cares. :-) You are so sweet.

      Delete