Friday, September 1, 2017

First Day Views



It seemed a long wait for September to arrive, but here it is in all its wet and windy glory.  The children said they could smell Fall today, and I think I might agree.  We were a little slow to get started, but we did it!  Roan spent his time hearing his new verses for the year, beginning his container story (from Lavender) and working on drawing straight and curved lines.  In addition to the usual pointing out where we find them, we made pictures from our story using straight and curved lines.


Laurel was along for the ride, with her little slate, and she was just as proud of her work. We were all quite chalky when we were done!


Willow learned about Roman numerals for the first time, as Enki never introduced them in the materials we had (or maybe I missed it!).   I can see where memorizing math facts for ten helps this skill along.  We talked about one more and one less than five, and did the same for ten.  Willow was able to draw them very easily and we'll do more with them next week.  She'll be using them to make a calendar for the year.


We reviewed second grade forms, and we'll continue to do that for the next two weeks or longer.  I have the Christopherus form drawing book and we started with simple mirrored curlicues.  Willow has often struggled with lower case letters and curving forms, so it was so nice to see her working on them and making progress.  I drew the straight line and she put the mirrored images on it.  It's not perfect, but we'll revisit it Monday morning.  What was important was that she tried and did it without frustration.  We turned it into a big cloud with angels above.  Willow says they were playing ball with the sun.

We were a little rough around the edges, but I think the framework is in place to make a good year.  It's important I stay focused, which we all know is a challenge to do.  I think the theme for this year, if there is one, would be discipline--of the self, of the home, of our days.  Last year we worked on kind ways, and both of those tasks go hand in hand and never end. 

And now the school week is over!  It's funny to say that!   We'll get back to work on Monday and Mike will take Laurel out for some special time together.  Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. The children look so happy! :) What lovely, positive thoughts for the first day. I like the little slates they use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all glad to get back into the swing of things. :-) And, like Minnie, I am determined to be persisterant on things that have been sticking points. The big chalkboard came from Bella Luna Toys. I really like it.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day! I used Lavender for the first semester of first grade. It was really helpful. Your children look so grown up! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Roan really like the story and I think it suited him better than the Enki stories, which are a little more intense.

      Delete
    2. That's how I felt with my daughter. Very gentle, simple story that really helped her focus. <3

      Delete
  3. Ah what lovely photos of your three. They look really pleased with their efforts and happy to be back to more formal learning. Long may it last! My daughter made a lovely calendar in third grade too which we still use :-) Wishing you a peaceful schooling season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any photos of her calendar? I would love to see it. I'm very inspired by seeing what schools do.

      Delete
    2. And thank you for your well wishes! When do your girls go back to school?

      Delete