Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Crafting On :: Seasonal Things


 I found some time to pare down my sewing list this past week.  Some projects were planned and others were quite spur-of-the-moment.

One of the unplanned projects was a crayon roll for Laurel, as she is not one to be left out. I used this tutorial, instead of Enki's, and it came out beautifully. The only thing I did differently was to leave out batting.  This roll holds nine block crayons and eight stick crayons.  The stick side has longer pockets. so I simply shortened two for the extra blocks.  These are the first block crayons we ever got, six years ago, if that is interesting to anyone.  They are still going strong!


This fabric is entirely too fun, so it made sense to immortalize it in something that she will use for years to come.  I think the print captures Laurel's personality quite well.  It was part of my free fabric stockpile that I amassed in the past year.  I have some left and I think I will make cloth bag out of it, as it's too heavy for clothing.


Roan got his crayon roll, as well, which was planned.  He liked his collection of boxes so much that I wasn't sure he needed one.  His crayon collection might be a little overgrown.  Fourteen blocks and ten sticks. . . so far.  His roll will hold thirteen more sticks!  I might use that for short Lyra Ferby pencils--yes, that sounds perfect!


I used the same tutorial and more fabric remnants.  Roan loves Christmas colors, so it is perfect for him.  With the new ones, I can see that Willow's roll could use a little make over, now that I know the proper dimensions.


Willow got a new old outfit that suits her so well.  The skirt was part of the fabric amassed--it must have sat unfinished for forty years!  It's a lovely canvas with two pockets on the front.  It needed hemming, and the waist needed finishing.  I added some buttonholes for the ties to go through, and this skirt should serve her for several years.  The peasant top is a couple of old pillowcases.  She needed a top to match, so I used this tutorial.  I gave it 3/4 sleeves with lace edging and I think it is so pretty on her.


And here's the only other planned project. ;-) Roan has wanted a night shirt for months, so I made him one. It was wonderful to find 60" wide fabric at Voldemart.  I used this pattern, simply elongating it and adding a curved hem.  He's really pleased and has worn it every night since, which has been handy with this cooler weather.  He was being so silly when I was taking his photo!


And that's it!  It was a lot of sewing, and I have plans for more, including something very special.  Maybe I will have it done next week.

P.S.  I forgot I made some Autumn napkins.  Here they are!  A dozen from a yard of new fabric.




For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

9 comments:

  1. My you have been busy! I love the nightshirt and he looks like he might get into some mischief. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, he is very good at mischief. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have been so busy. Everything looks wonderful. I am so impressed with your skills. :) I never did make crayon rolls, but yours look so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You could always make a pencil roll. Willow got one as a gift and it adds something special to her tools.

      Delete
  3. What lovely makings Brandy! The crayon rolls look beautiful - glad the tutorial is clear enough! :-) Love the autumn napkins and Willow's outfit is just gorgeous - she looks so tall and graceful. And of course Rowan looks cosy in his new nightshirt :-) Well done - you are really clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, your tutorial worked well. Willow is so very different for me--it is interesting to watch.

      Delete
  4. Such sweet projects. And I love your kid's names!

    ReplyDelete