Saturday, August 26, 2017

Nature School :: Housebuilding


Third grade work for Willow is supposed to include some sort of "house-building" or construction. I'll admit that carpentry has not been something we have done a lot of, and I'm not sure it fits who I am as their teacher.  This post (see point nine) took some of the pressure off, as did some encouragement from a homeschooling group to look for other ways to do things.  When I reflected on it, it seems our den was the way to go, all along.

I thought the children would lose interest in it, over time, but that hasn't happened.  Maybe it is because it is a little clandestine, being on public land, and maybe it is because it isn't here at home, it works.  We've made the policy to take nothing living to go into it, to use found things, and to bring nothing from other sites.  This works well, as the forest on a windswept ridge is always giving new materials that the trees are obviously finished using.

Willow proclaimed that she was too big for the old floor plan this past week.  I reacted nonchalantly, and she soon undertook enlarging the entrance, beginning a lean-to, and putting a little roof above the door.  There seemed to be no end to her energy for the project, despite chilly air (she wore my sweater) and scratches on her legs.  We resolved to wear jeans next time.

So, here's our house-building, nail-free and without the use of saws.  I do have aims for some smaller project through the year that may work well--a bird tray, a stick horse (with a sewing component).  Things have a way of falling into place or slipping away unnoticed.

It's cool again this morning, so very nice, and I'm so glad.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts here. I think there are a couple of ways to approach the Third Grade housebuilding / carpentry elements. Firstly I believe that Third Grade is a time of practical arts. Housebuilding is considered an eminently practical occupation - I have seen it called one of the "archetypal professions." In the Roy Wilkinson guide that I have, it is suggested that children are acquainted with how a house is built - not necessarily that they must build one themselves. They might receive information on the process from the teacher, and then observe construction somewhere. But he makes it clear that there are many practical arts one could explore. I agree that Steiner was very clear that he thought the handwork and crafts should have a practical purpose, that they should be useful, and used. If you think about it, even when the children knit toys in First and Second Grade, they then play with them - so they are being used. I think it's fine to give the children a taste of carpentry by completing small, practical building projects - that will actually be used. That's what we did. (Again I think a toy counts, too, if it's played with!) The other element to housebuilding I've seen discussed ties it in more with the theme of Shelters. Parallels can be drawn between the body being an earthly home for the spirit and a shelter being a home for a person. I've heard it said that this is why it's nice for children to create their own shelters, because of what they are experiencing in this stage of development. I think your woodland den serves this purpose nicely. We did a backyard tipi together, and the children built various "homes" like your den.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which book of his do you have? Is it Commonsense Homeschooling? We have really enjoyed making the toys from the books we have and they are seldom fought over the way other things are. Something about them. :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts--you are so well read.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, that should say "Schooling." ;-)

      Delete
    3. The one I meant is called "Teaching Practical Activities: Farming, Gardening, and Housebuilding for ages 9 and 10" by Roy Wilkinson. It is short, only 36 pages, but I found it very useful. I don't have "Commonsense Homeschooling," but I will check it out. :)

      Delete