Thursday, July 27, 2017

Christmas in July

Our annual celebration of Winter in the Middle of Summer was this week.  It's always a welcome little game to play, getting out decorations and pulling the shades to mimic the darkness of Winter.  The children enjoyed decorating the house and reading all the Christmas books, which will soon go back into hiding.


We've had a little more rain this Summer, though it is still quite dry.  It was a happy gift to hear it hitting the windows as we got ready for bed on Monday.  The children have taken to reading a little before going to sleep, which is what I do.  It was minus 40 degrees when I left Dick Proenekke last night.


As part of our festivities, we celebrated Becky's birthday, as well.  I was able to find a copy of Tasha Tudor's Becky's Birthday after months of searching.  I showed her the Love Bunny hat and she loved it, so I'll soon start again with one that will be more her size.


As always, we had Nigella Lawson's Spruced-Up Vanilla Cake.  It never fails to impress and provide tasty leftovers.


You can see some of the children's decorations here.  Roan and Laurel each decorated a tree and Willow was very busy with other symbols of the season.


Today, the rescheduled Bee Event is due to occur, as is the felling of a significant pine tree. I'm making a blackberry cobbler for the occasion, to share with all the folks who will be joining in the effort. I'll be sure to come back with photos of the bees soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas in July celebrations, Brandy.♥
    I am also a big fan of Dick Proenekke's story in the Alaskan wilderness. My children and I watched it on PBS many years ago (before Luke was born, I think, and he is eleven now!--time to find the film and watch it again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw him on PBS, too, during a fund drive. So, we anxiously waited through the drive to watch the short clips! :-D There's another film, I think, that I would love to see.

      Delete