Thursday, April 27, 2017

Nature School


A certain little boy came smiling into the world this very morning, six years ago.  It's almost time for me to set up the birthday ring and lay out his presents.  He chose our nature school destination this week: The Snail Place.  If I were to guess, I think that it's Roan's favorite place away from home.  He was so glad to be back and to see the place without snow and ice.


The children went straight to work on their den, making "improvements" and adding to their glass bottle collection.  I spent my time pulling garlic mustard, of which there was plenty.  I'd get one spot cleared, only to find much more of it just a few feet away.  I think this is going to be a long-term project.


Laurel spent her time puttering around, often near me.  We found snail shells together, of course, and I admired the Dutchman's breeches that you see in the first picture.  They are always such a treasure to me--the whole woods there is covered up with the little feathery plants.  It is a challenge to find them blooming, though.  I was so pleased to see some!


In the bright sunshine, we found a whole colony of these plants.  I'm not going to speculate too much on their identity, but we'll just visit the place weekly over the next while to see what they do.  They certainly don't seem like ramps to me.


I also spent a part of my nature school time practicing some songs we'll be using in the next month or so.  I'm planning a sheep circle for May for Willow, since she really loves them.  In this way, I got some rest time, too. 

Well, I think it's time to get a move on.  The next week will be a busy one for our family and I've got to get a start on it.  Happiest of Thursdays to you!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Roan! Hope you have a lovely day! Lovely spot you went to. what do you do with the garlic mustard? We have tonnes around the place. Hope you enjoy your birthday celebrations today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think he is having a wonderful day so far. :-) I just pull it and leave it to die. (Cue maniacal laugh.) Really, it's a non-native invasive growing in a sensitive spot and that's what most naturalist groups do around here. It's easy to pull, so out it goes. I'm sure you can do something with it, but we haven't.

      Delete
  2. Ah I see. Good idea then! Love the laugh 🙂

    ReplyDelete