Saturday, April 21, 2018

Things as They Come


My children look at the world so differently than I did at their age.  They are so much more awake.  I've considered that my own childhood was a series of things that happened to me.  Maybe much of my life has been that way?  I was just swept along with the tide, ever-accepting of things as they came. 

Am I now in a new season of my life where I take the reins and make things happen on my own?  I see myself making new connections in everyday settings.  I see people happy to meet me.  I see the world as an open place, and myself ready to meet it!  What a powerful feeling to have!

I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element.

It is my personal approach that creates the climate.

It is my daily mood that makes the weather.

I possess tremendous power to make a life miserable or joyous.

I can be a tool of torture, or an instrument of inspiration.

I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal.

In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated, and person humanized or dehumanized.

If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.

It we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.

~Goethe, as taken from The Waldorf Book of Poetry

8 comments:

  1. I love Goethe, his books are definitely worth reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a fear of not being quite smart enough to handle them! Where would would begin?

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, that's just not true! Fiction or non-fiction?

      Delete
    3. How about one of each? I've always leaned more toward non-fiction, but I am working on that.

      Delete
  2. His scientific stuff is interesting because of Steiner, but I would start with Italian Journey for non-fiction (the Penguin classic translation)...it's a fun book about art, travel, culture...and for novels, try his first The Sorrows of Young Werther. I thought it was fabulous.(I like the Princeton translations best).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that is so true - Goethe speaks our truth as parents so eloquently. Am enjoying all the poems you are sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I really love poetry and quotations.

      Delete