Friday, March 16, 2018

Late Winter Scenes



Didn't we have a Spring bouquet just a last week?  Of course!  That is March for you, warm one moment and blustery and cold the next.  This week saw three snow days for the local schools, and we took them to nurse each other through a cold.  Back in the swing of things, we did have a little time to see the snow before it all melted.


There is bright green grass under the snow, daffodils weighed down by wet flakes, and birds singing in all the trees.  It is March and it's nearly half gone. 


I've been working on a hap of some kind for awhile now, since late January.  I ordered the softest tentative Spring colors.  I've completed one a couple times with different borders, none of them knitted, and then I unraveled the whole thing.  I've never done that, as I've always been pleased everything I've ever made.  Haha.  But, really, I've never done that, so now I am working my way through another hap with the same yarn and a knitted border.  Knitting with squiggly yarn produces some lumpy results, but I am hopeful blocking will tackle that problem.


In school news, we've begun new blocks for both of the children.  Roan is making his first book, a fairy tale verse reader of "The Mud Pony."  It's the tale of a boy who makes a clay pony that comes to life.  It helps him to find his people, takes them through a battle, and sees him become chief of his village before returning to the earth.  This is just Roan's kind of story.


Willow is working on math, per the Christopherus syllabus.  We've been carrying over for awhile without much issue, but borrowing is a new skill.  For this, we turned to Enki's grade three materials.  Tricky Mischief returns, learning to borrow jewels from her place value boxes to pay for a ship.  She often cartwheels her way along, so Willow made a moving picture of her making her way through the Kingdom of Jewel.

Well, the sun is up and the birds are singing, so it's time for me to get moving on my next tasks.  Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely as always! <3 That Flora Thompson book has been on my wishlist/to read list for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still Glides the Stream is my favorite of all I've read, but this title has a lovely biographical section which was most enlightening. Look on thriftbooks--lots of great books there!

      Delete
  2. That second version of the shawl/blanket looks like it is going to be beautiful. Good for you for frogging something you are not happy with. Not an easy one after lots of work, but also satisfying somehow I find, to start afresh. Hope you enjoy your knitting. The weather here is also cold again after some gorgeous warm spring days. We even had a light dusting of snow today! And it's the first day of spring next week! Sounds like school is going well. Hope you are all better now. We are onto our third lot of colds/ viruses since January! As you say spring is coming, the days are getting longer and brighter and our energies are slowly returning. Stay well and warm ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am looking forward to this new incarnation. We have been in the same boat--sick three times this year. I hope three times is quite enough!

      Delete