Thursday, March 22, 2018

A Branch of Spring

Oh, the March winds blow and the swirling snow
Say that Winter's holding on,
But we've all heard in the call of the bird
That Old Winter soon will be gone.


Snow in late March, of course.  What would it be without it?  Terrible winds and driving sleet and beautiful sights all for a ten-minute drive.  The upside of a snow this time of year--it does not stick around long and it is less likely to cause ice accumulations on the roads.  Now that I am a minivan person, that is a blessing.  Driving on snowy roads is out for me for the foreseeable future.  Luckily, I mainly work from home and walk to the "main office" down the street.


The snow at the Snail Place was much prettier, so I succumbed to the urge to drive up there.  No disappointment, except in myself for having left my mittens at home.  And snow suits for the children.  If there weren't a wind advisory today, it would be so tempting to run up there.  It's not a place to go in the wind, though, and I have bigger fish to fry right now.


Back at home, we gave away the last of our hickory nuts.  I raised the shade to find this little friend on my window ledge, undisturbed by the sudden loss of privacy.  We enjoyed watching them clean the snow off the nuts and then eat their way through them.   I think I may collect more nuts for the squirrels next Fall.  That seems silly, seeing how they have walnuts galore, but life is like that.  Small joys, always.


A Branch of Spring I will bring to you,
And at your door I'll stand.
It's nothing but a sprout, but it's well budded out 
By the work of life's own hand.


~Enki Festival Songs

2 comments:

  1. Oh it is so beautiful there! WHat a lovely place to live and work and teach. Sometimes small kindnesses to little creatures can bring the most joy! What a pretty little visitor you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, too! I am enjoying exploring your blog. :-)

      Delete