Monday, February 19, 2018

Spring


The weather is spring-y as warm as it is, as bright as it is, after a long, dark spell.  There is no other way to describe it.  My own records tell me it was six degrees this day three years ago.  It was in the sixties today.  We rejoiced, all the same, because we needed some Spring.


In the spirit of hospitality and all the fancy minor meals Nancy Drew and her friends have, I made a little snack for the children to share in the playhouse.  The played out there so contentedly for close to three hours, something they have never done.  I think they are feeling more settled than they have in some time.  Maybe they are knowing that the four of us are solidly here for the long haul?


I cannot help but change the decor to Spring things.  The root children really are stirring these days, with tulips, daffodils, and crocuses showing their heads (and a few blooms!)  The nearby snow drops are just about to break into bloom.  I know Winter can come rushing back at any time, but it is good to see life moving along.


I bought this little postcard some time ago.  It made me think of Willow and Laurel.  Laurel loves swinging so very much, in any form.  It seems to heal whatever troubles her.  In that spirit, I got out the hammock chair for her.  She could swing in it for an hour and still claim a sibling isn't sharing, if someone else should try to get in!


And with that, it's time to wind down for the day.  The fresh air and sun sure were a help, and I felt more productive than I have in a long time.  See the messy porch?  All clean now.  Ahhh, that feels so good!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely croci! Such a happy welcome sight. Yes spring is on the way here too. We all need a little injection of spring right now after a long winter. That's great that your children had a lovely play session and I love their snack plate 🙂 Yes I imagine you are right that your children are settling/relaxing into the new arrangement. Children need to know how things stand to relax. My husband has been ill for two weeks now and not able to help at home and I have been doing everything too. The children have been so much more helpful and accommodating than usual! Maybe it's easier for them with one parent leading the way or maybe they know there is a lot of work/ support needed for one parent alone. Whatever it is, glad your children are helping in their own sweet way. Oh swinging- that was my favourite as a child too- so soothing. Shame I get so dizzy now. I did a bit of tidying up in the garden at the weekend too- always good to put things in order, however small. I love the picture of the Root Children. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope things are calming down now. Bless your hearts. :-) Was the root children book a part of your childhood? Have you seen the book this picture comes from? It's a quilt!

      Delete
  2. Yes, it does feel like spring - I love all your springy things!
    I think we need a hammock! Enjoy the warm weather however long it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend one. :-) Ours is very busy!

      Delete
  3. Ooo that snack looks good. I love those little juice glasses. My grandmother used to have cute juice glasses. They just don't make them like that anymore do they? We have that bird IKEA tray though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had so many cute glasses over the years. I feel glad thrift stores have them so cheaply! I tend to break a lot! Those have a matching orange juice bottle, so I hope they hold on awhile.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing all of your spring things! I'm glad it feels refreshing to you all. As much as I love winter, I am starting to get curious as to what may lie beneath all the snow and sagebrush! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, who knows what is underneath! It is certainly a different ecosystem.

      Delete