Monday, February 26, 2018

Lighting Candles


Better late than never, we rolled the remaining wax sheets from last Candlemas.  It's not time for Easter or the Equinox, so we'll keep the Valentine mood for a bit longer.  The children are all big enough to roll their own candles, which is so new to me.  There has always been someone who was too little for the job, but that time has passed.  Everyone enjoyed seeing their creations lit up.

In other news, the days are full of birdsong and burgeoning bulbs and work.  We have done school work and errands and my own new work, which I am able to do mostly at home.  I work for my mother now, for the accounting business that my grandmother started about forty years ago.  I've worked off and on over the years, but this is now a lasting responsibility.  My long-term plan is to restructure our school year to allow our "Summer" break to fall from February to mid-April.


I am still taking extra time for connection, as my children experience an attachment void and learn to forge new relationships.  It is funny that the crumbling of one family has also meant the rebuilding of another.  We are enjoying more time with my family, more chances to get together and cozy up over family meals.  It feels like we were not often able to be together, and now all of that has changed.  The schedule, with all its variables, is enjoying more predictability.

A lot is new these days, which can feel difficult to remember.  It feels so much longer, like a slow train crash.  The changes we have experienced are so profound, and yet not.  I have been largely alone at my tasks for three and a half years, and yet everything has more weight now.  I know that things will be busier, what with my year-round work being a jack of all trades, master of some.  I also know that this time is particularly full of appointments and errands, and things will even out.




6 comments:

  1. So very many blessings to you all! Transitions are HARD, even as an adult, but you seem to be, as always, helping your children through them with grace. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! It is a hard transition, to be sure. I feel buried under all the options, paperwork, and waiting.

      Delete
  2. I love the candlelight picture of the girls. :) I can understand wanting a break in springtime rather than summer - that was far more appealing to us in the Ozarks, as well. Extra time for connection sounds just right - I'm sure that the strong bond the children have with you makes everything easier for them, and it's wonderful that you are getting to spend more time with your family. Best wishes with your new work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It feels very challenging presently, all the juggling and stress behind the scenes. I know some of it short term and I am growing impatient. ;-)

      Delete
  3. We rolled candles just last week too as we weren't well for so long. Ah those candles set a lovely atmosphere and all your children can now feel proud of their achievements. The youngest always does things a little earlier, I find. So pleased to hear you are spending more time with your parents and the children have more attachment figures in their life that love them. Maybe you can have a break now and then in the future that way too? Do you mean having a long spring break instead of a summer break because that's the end of the tax year and you will have a lot more work then? I hope it will work out well for you. As you say you have had many years of practise of parenting more or less without much support and your children are clearly a credit to you and your loving, thoughtful, creative and gentle parenting approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean having our summer vacation during the busy time of year (which would be Winter). Our school year would begin after mid-April. For this year, we'll take a break for one month in the summer (I'm not sure which one I'll choose), and then we'll pick up with our current grade. It will be a time of review and transition into the next grade. It will take a little time to find the new rhythm, but I have often wished for a school rhythm during the summer months. I have homeschool legal advice and I think this will be a good solution. Thank you for your kind encouragement. :-)

      Delete