Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Crafting On

I wish I could report that we have put our illness behind us, but the truth is that all of us are still struggling in some way. Those who were late to the party were not spared, and we have had more than our fill of just about everything.  I try to remember my great grandmother who spent literal years in bed with tuberculosis, crocheting bedspreads to be sold at a craft center.  I think it has helped some to make a few things in the past couple days. 


Here's X the Owl for the children, adapted from Knitting for Children: A Second Book.  We have watched a good bit of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood over the past week, and far more television than is reasonable.  When the children have felt up to it, though, we've gone outside in the yard.


This was Willow's tooth gift.  She lost a tooth in the midst of all this.  I've had this little sheep for some time, tucked away, though the carpet beetles (oh, the evil!) had done a number on him.  I took off his old coat and simply wrapped him in roving and put on a new bell.  She was so pleased!


And here's a new dress for Willow, too.  Simplicity 9829.  I finished it last night as we watched The Waltons.  This pattern was quite simple, but still nice.  I did add some stitching around the edge of the bodice to keep everything looking neat after washing.

And with that, I think I'll slip outside and water the garden.  Last week was cool, but this week is quite sunny and steamy.

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you are all not completely well yet. Sounds like it has wiped you all out :-( Your poor great grandmother too....well done for making the beautiful dress and the owl. It is always so satisfying to complete a project in the midst of illness. Sometimes all we can do is zone out and watch things when we don't have the energy for anything else. As soon as the children feel well, they will stop wanting to be entertained and will make their own entertainment. Fingers crossed you will all be back to normal really soon and all this will be a distant memory. I love the tooth fairy gift - very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this has been the worst illness to happen in our family. We are still all pretty tired. Thank you for the well wishes. :-)

      Delete