Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Crafting On :: Strawberry Dress

Strawberry prints might be my very favorite.  My parents' kitchen has strawberry wallpaper in it and it always makes me happy to see it.  Willow's new dress is the same way. 


It's Simplicity 9280, the girls' jumper, it was such a pleasure to make.  It has such nice finishing inside.  My only complaint is that the pockets could be bigger, but that is easy to remedy on the next one.  It's a timeless style, to be sure, and would be easy to adapt into a historical costume by simply choosing another fabric and making the skirt longer.  This dress cost about $8 to make, as I did purchase fabric for it.  Most of my sewing projects use fabric I've been given (oh, the fabric I've been given!), but I do make occasional purchases.  It's possible to make nice clothing fairly inexpensively, if you avoid quilt shops. 

This week, it's garden time--potatoes, tomatoes, October beans, corn, pumpkins, cucumbers--all those need to go into the ground and they need a fence around them.  It's a big job, but I still have some sewing, knitting, and felting happening in the background.  I'm working on pajamas for Roan, a wool picture of sheep, and the ever-present Cyclone hat.  For now, I must work on some oatmeal!

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. I love that dress you have made and the fabric too of course. I think it would be something my girls would like, although maybe slightly looser around the tummy as my youngest has tummy ache a lot. Really pretty. Well done. Has Willow had a hair cut? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it would be possible to make a similar dress with an elastic waistband (and gentle elastic inside). I'm sorry she struggles with that. Willow did have a hair cut. It's much easier for her to care for now. :-)

      Delete
    2. Good idea. My eldest gets her hair so tangled she is also going to get a shorter cut for easier care at some point soon. The youngest could do with it too, but she says she is growing it including growing her very messy fringe out :-( Maybe she will get inspired by her sister's haircut?? Both their hair is so fine, it dreadlocks very easily, so is a nightmare to comb out. Thanks for the tips re dress.

      Delete
    3. Willow was working to grow out all her hair, too, but it grew really frustrating every day. It seemed to tangle no matter how often it was brushed. My son has hair that NEVER tangles! It is funny how different we all are. :-)

      Delete
    4. Yes that must be frustrating for Willow. It drives my eldest, Heidi crazy when its all knotted. Bobs are pretty anyway and there is plenty of time for growing hair long :-)

      Delete
  2. I love the cheerful fabric! And Willow's hair is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. I agree with fabric purchases and the cost. Last dress I made for myself was over $60.00 with the notions included but it just felt like too much once my time was included. Then I go in the stores and dresses are all over 100.00. Guess I did okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-) That was certainly a savings! Do you have a blog, too?

      Delete
  4. Lovely dress! Strawberry prints really are lovely.

    ReplyDelete