Monday, May 15, 2017

A May Carol

Oh, the hedges and fields are growing so green, 
As green as grass can be; 
Our heavenly father he watereth them 
With his heavenly dew so sweet.

 ~Cambridgeshire May Song :: Folk Songs of the Southern Appalachians, as sung by Jean Ritchie


There are so many songs and verses written about May, and they are right.  I don't think I ever realized what a joy May is.  We began it driving through the West Virginia countryside and it was just so green.  Even though our Winter was a mild one, the abundance of the new leaves and flowers is still profound.  We cut a lot of flowers from our own garden for Mother's Day, both for my own joy and for my mother.  Mike had to prepare for another week, so the children and I spent part of the day out at the Old Davis Homeplace and then drove over the mountain to the Swing Place.   

It was all so green everywhere, and I guess I was too busy marveling to take more than a picture of the grass.  The daisies were blooming and it seemed the scent of flowers was on every breeze.  Even the grass was a sight to behold.  It was all so tall and waving in the winds.  We saw a field with hay drying in it already!  I hope this abundance lasts.  The drought last year was so difficult, both for gardening and for the spirit.  The nights were chilly and dry and it felt eerily like a desert walking across the cracked soil and crispy grass.  It was not something we are used to here.

I have felt a little sad, having missed May Day as we did.  But, as Summer's Coming In says,

All the days of May
The whole of May,
Are for gingerbread,
Fairs,
Frolicking, 
Mumming, 
For garlands and Maypoles.
For now has summer come in.

2 comments:

  1. Normally I love May, but this one has been so cold and gloomy up here on the nw coast. Things are getting very green, and some things are blooming, but it seems less than usual due to lack of sun. As always, a balance between sun and moisture is nice!

    We are loving this music, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had cold and gloom, too, and it is so nice to see the sun shining now. I hope you all find your balance soon!

      Delete