Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Crafting On :: A Tree for the Gnomes

Up in a green orchard, there is a green tree, 
the finest of apples you ever did see. 
The apples are ripe and ready to fall, 
and here is the basket to gather them all. 

~Enki Kindergarten Movement 


I guess this is the season of tying up loose ends. The school planning is in its final phases and things are coming in from the gardens. The apples and pears are getting ripe and starting to fall, so it seemed fitting that the gnomes I made back in May should have their own apple tree. 

The most time consuming part of this project was finding just the right stick, the kind that would look like a nice full tree when it had it wool leaves on.  I went with dogwood, since the branches are small and easy to find.  They hang on to the tree for quite some time, so it's like picking fruit.  I teased several colors of green apart to make them fairly sheer and layered them together.  It took a very small amount to wrap the tree and then roll a few red apples.  I sewed the tree on with a few simple stitches and it's ready to change with the seasons.  I'll admit that I am looking forward to it wearing some red and gold!

I'm still plodding along on the second Love Bunny Beanie, with less urgency, and I've started work on a felted recorder case for myself.  Willow finished her case a year ago, so it's time I got to work!  She'll continue with the recorder this year, while Roan will begin using a Choroi pentatonic flute.  I'll have to write more about that as we go along.

Well, lots to do these Summer days--I better get to work on the oatmeal!

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

1 comment: