Thursday, July 6, 2017

The past two days, I have been catching up on yard work.  It has been so nice to feel able, to be able to do such simple things.  Everything feels overgrown this time of year.  It's the time of waiting, these last few weeks before things really start coming in from the garden.  And, there are a number of things that have seen their time in the sun and are ready to return to the earth.  So, I've been pulling weeds and old pea plants and broccoli plants.  I've been cutting back, here and there, things that have gotten out of hand, and pruning the tomato plants.  It is nice to see the yard looking tidy again.


Our Independence Day was spent here at home, with a few fireworks at the end.  A stormy forecast kept us at home, though the weather stayed mild.  We had some leftovers from New Year's Eve, and the children enjoyed that.  We went to bed as the real fireworks were beginning.


This old, hollowed-out root became a gnome home yesterday.  Roan got him all fixed up with stones to block out the cold and grass to make things comfortable.  It is so good to see things returning to normal around here.  We did our morning verses and school work yesterday morning, still having some loose ends to tie up from the old school year.  The new one needs planning and that is my goal for July, along with more knitting.


My Sideways Mystery Mittens are really coming along, and I'll finish them today.  I've got to weave up the side of the hand and put on the cuff.  These sure have a lot of finishing and seaming to them, but the result is a very nice mitten.  I feel certain that they will do a wonderful job of keeping out the cold when the weather turns.  Elizabeth Zimmerman knew just how to write a pattern and shape things just so.

I'll be moving on from mittens, after this, to knit a hat for Becky for her birthday in a couple weeks.  She has a pet rabbit, so this pattern will be just perfect for her.  I've not really knit many things with color work, but I feel confident I can do it.  This may well become a favorite pattern over the years.  Who doesn't love a bunny with hearts?

And with that, another day is beginning.  I have a little fellow who wants to hear a story before everyone else gets up.

No comments:

Post a Comment