Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Crafting On :: Busy Bees

Week before last, I discovered some honey bees flying in and out of the lower edge of some siding at the Roland Estate.  It's no small task to remove bees from a building, since their hives are often inside walls that must also be removed.  People who offer this service generally love the bees, so they will be carefully removed and re-homed.  We've found someone to do it and are looking forward to seeing the process from a safe distance.  In the meanwhile, we're busy at our own hive, each one of us.
 


I closed out Mitten Season with these Hollyberry Mittens, using the Sideways Mystery Mittens pattern. They look big, but when you put them on, they are just perfect. I love the cheery colors and I think I have enough left to make a matching hat of some kind. Probably ought to make it an EZ pattern, too.


The Love Bunny hat has gone on the back burner for a bit, so that I can work on Celtic Myths for a dear friend who needs to be enveloped in love.  I'm knitting this with another friend--I'll do the stockinette portion and then mail it off to her for the cabled edge. 

The children have been creating, too, as they have felt better and better. Lots of herbal tinctures are being made from our garden and that of a neighbor. Laurel spent the longest time carefully snipping up oregano and mint and filling a little jar.  She calls herself "Monica Jean."  


 There's sewing, too. Willow made these sweet aprons for the Muffy Vanderbears we have. Two were from my own childhood, having purchased them from a dress shop my mother loved. Another came to us from a friend who knew we had them, and now they have quite the collection of clothing. Carried picked up the little tin at the thrift shop and it was pure coincidence that it came with a pattern, fabric, and buttons to fit the very bears we have!


Willow and I worked to make her fairy a new dress and a little baby. She loved the fish fabric and we had just the tiniest bit of it. She's such a happy new mother, isn't she?


Roan made this little peg doll for me using colored pencils.  I love the way he draws faces.  He usually sits on the kitchen window while I wash the dishes. His little face just melts my heart--like he captures all the sweetness of my little boy.

Well, it's going to be very hot today, so time in the wading pool and ice cream are in order.  I better get to work on the custard!

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

7 comments:

  1. It's so sweet that your children like to create too:) Lovely projects you all have going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah such lovely makings from the children and those gloves look fun too. Just a quick ask - I wanted to ask you for some kefir grains asap but can't find you on easy. We fly on Saturday! So much to do beforehand, I haven't been online looking at lovely blogs for a little while :-) Looks like you recovering now. I do hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you happy and safe travels! Here it is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BrandysFiberFrolic

      Delete
    2. Hi I just ordered some grains from you. It took a while as it didn't like my billing address being in the UK! Could you write that there are live grains on the front of the package so my friend Katharine knows to put them in milk asap. I am ordering a fair few parcels, so that would be very helpful. Many thanks!

      Delete
    3. I received your order and I will mail them out tomorrow. :-) I will include a note with them.

      Delete
  3. How creative you all are. I wish I could do more things like this but I am just not that creative.

    ReplyDelete