Saturday, July 1, 2017

Birthday Views

Call this the Slow-Motion Birthday for a variety of reasons.  Some of the celebrating had to wait until yesterday.  And, we're all still taking it easy.  Willow and Roan developed tonsillitis, but it's easy to treat and not scarily contagious.  My Mothering Sense picked up on it very, very early, so there have been no fevers or real discomfort.  They were still feeling very much themselves, and that is a wonderful gift, too!


On to Birthday Views!  The hollyhocks are lovely this year.  It seems our home garden, after eleven years, is finally reaching a mature status.  We have abundant perennials--day lilies, lupines, columbine, bleeding hearts, and these lovely hollyhocks.


It's hay cutting time again, the second cutting this year.  All the rain has sure been kind to the farmers, I think.  Here the tractor is "tedding" the hay, or spreading it out again to dry before it's put into windrows to be bailed.  This spot is quite near my parents' home.  I remember the little boy who used to live where this field is now.


One could call this the Glitter Birthday, as well.  I gave the children free rein with the glue and glitter, so much that their bedroom had the strong smell of Elmer's glue and the porch is covered in silver.  I filled my vacuum with glittery lint and mopped up glittery water.  But, they were so pleased.  Roan made me the sweet little card and Willow made me a Christmas-in-July decoration and a beaded necklace. 


Here's Roan at the playhouse, as we were enjoying the shade of their tiny porch.  You can see one of the raised beds beside him.  The broccoli is finishing up, as are the peas.  The lettuce is nearing its end, as well.  There is still much to do, and Carrie gave me the gift of cultivating the Annex garden for me!  It is so nice to have friends who are creative givers.  She knew how much I hadn't been able to do lately, though I think I am ready to spend a few days weeding now (gently).


It was Nature School day, so I chose a trip to Whitetop Mountain.  It's been hot and humid the last of the week, so someplace high up with cool breezes was very welcome.  The ferns were thick under the spruce trees.


We picked wild strawberries, trying to leave the unripe ones for our trip back there for Independence Day.  These are not wild strawberries, but a rare kind of trefoil that only grows in the high elevations here.  The name escapes me.


The children and I talked about a walk down to Buzzard Rock this Summer.  It is the goal of every year, though we only managed it in 2014.  It would be wonderful if we could do it this time around.  Maybe in a few weeks when everyone has a clean bill of health. I, myself, have been dealing with asthma and hives (twice!), but feel so much better than I did.


It is so good to see the children playing and strong again, despite some setbacks.  We've simply never had such an experience and it's been very difficult, all around.  I had such a different picture of our Summer, but I am hoping things are on the upswing as the days grow shorter.  We had such encouragement from our dear friends, near and far, old and new.  That has been a wonderful blessing.


Lastly, we came home to the mail and this record.  There was no name, but I knew at once that Mike had sent it.  It's such a happy, sweet album that I have listened to hundreds of times.  It fits so well with the mood of Waldorf education, as do some of her other songs.  Mike tried to find an original copy, which is quite rare, so he was very thankful this album is still in production.  Vashti Bunyan went about her own life for a number of years, not knowing people were still enjoying her music!  She was persuaded to do some more recording a few years ago.

Today will be a simple day at home, caring for ourselves and our house and garden, and I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Quiet birthdays are the best! I am glad you are all on the mend. It sounds a lot like the illness we had in January which took about six weeks for us all to be over. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you all and what a hard time that was. Quiet birthdays are nice. :-)

      Delete