Monday, May 22, 2017

Morning Light

Our routine these days includes trips out to the Old Davis Homeplace, The Farm, as Grandma Lois used to call it.  The children and I love it--the immediate departure from life in town, the fields full of hay bales or tall waving grasses, a horse eager to be fed, and cats waiting, too. In preparation for a long week, I went on my own early Saturday morning.


We've had so much rain.  Everything is very full and green, but I'm a little worried about my tomato plants.  The seeds are sprouting nicely, ahead of schedule, even.  I planted so many things this year: corn, October beans, cucumbers, Summer squash, Winter squash, big and tiny pumpkins, potatoes (a little nervous about that, too), tomatoes, basil, parsley, chamomile, calendula, radishes, beets, peas, lettuce, carrots, broccoli.  We could have a very full harvest!


Berries are shaping up and picking will begin in the next few weeks.  Plenty of blueberries and plenty of black and red raspberries.  The grapes weren't harmed by the frost, for once, and apples are looking good.  I am hoping for a Summer full of food preservation.  It will be a wonderful way to begin third grade.


This image is so typical of the life I have known, cows on the hillside on a dewy morning.  I never knew how much I would come to love it.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to get up with the birds and see things on your own without distraction. Those blueberries look yummy. Your harvest sounds like it could be abundant! Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I really treasure quiet mornings alone. :-) Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete