Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Symbols of Eternity


The hills are our symbols of eternity.  There they stand, the evidence of things seen, as nearly everlasting and unchangeable as anything man may know.  One who has dwelled within them senses that they are beyond the horizon, even when he is in the level lands.  For this reassurance, all hill people will be duly thankful. . . 

In some manner, a mountain country places its mark on those who dwell within its shadows.  Scots carry with them a Highland pride of birth and place, even though they may wander thousands of miles from heather-covered moors. . . And thus it is with those nurtured in Appalachia--they leave, but they look back, remembering pleasant things.  The land has claimed them, and its ties will not be severed.

Maurice Brooks :: The Appalachians

We traveled over to Rich Valley yesterday, a winding and welcome journey after a long Winter.  We visited the Swing Place, of course, and collected daffodils for our pleasure at home.  I never tire of these views, never.  I would gladly live in that little house with the karst limestone so very near.  When I do leave these mountains and find flat, straight roads, I feel oddly without my navigational bearings.  I hardly know what to do when I am not hemmed in and I always feel glad to come home.

As my life changes and I find new footing, I feel glad for these mountains.  Of course, I have to redefine my mental picture of many of my favorite places.  Fifteen years prior, that seemed almost too painful for me to do, but now I see them with new, hopeful eyes.  These places have been here years beyond counting.  They know what to do.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Brandy, I tried to sift through my old papers to find your address or phone number as I intended to contact you to let you know I am around for friendship. . . I left a message on Messenger but wasn't sure you used it. While a bit dormant, I am still here and would love to catch up some time. I know your days are busy and can be overwhelming (me too, me too), so it doesn't have to be now. . . But if you ever get a hankering to chat at a convenient time, you are always welcome! If you don't remember me, it's quite okay, no offense taken! - Emily in Greensboro, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emily! I remember you. I'm having oral surgery today, but maybe after I am better? I'm a little terrified at how I will feel after!

      Delete
    2. I hope you experience quick healing, and do not worry about immediate or even a year from now. . . I totally understand and am always around for friendship. . . We will eventually catch up and talk about the now and future too even if it's when we are senior citizens, haha! - Emily

      Delete
  2. This was beautiful, thank you for sharing. Many blessings to you! <3

    ReplyDelete