Thursday, April 12, 2018

Nature School at the Water's Edge

Believe me, if all those endearing young charms,
Which I gaze on so fondly to-day,  
Were to change by to-morrow, and fleet in my arms,
Like fairy-gifts, fading away!  
Thou wouldst still be ador'd as this moment thou art,
Let thy loveliness fade as it will;  
And, around the dear ruin, each wish of my heart
Would entwine itself verdantly still! 

 
It is not while beauty and youth are thine own,
And thy cheeks unprofan'd by a tear,  
 
That the fervour and faith of a soul can be known,
To which time will but make thee more dear!
Oh! the heart, that has truly lov'd, never forgets, 
  But as truly loves on to the close;
As the sun-flower turns on her god, when he sets, 
  The same look which she turn'd when he rose!
~Thomas Moore

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful verse, and a beautiful photo that so captures the feel of an early spring day! Your Willow is growing up! : )

    All my best to you... ~ Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is--I'm not sure I'm ready!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful picture of Willow, and a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a song in her piano book that I've been practicing. She has the best old piano books with the sweetest pictures.

      Delete