Sunday, January 14, 2018

Snow Study


The return to school work involved plans for a week of Winter stories for Roan and weather study for Willow--a perfect match.  I know that many people try to plan concurrent blocks for their children, but I have generally kept the work separate, since everybody hears most every story, anyway.  It's definitely more Wintry this year, so we spent two weeks on our one week blocks.  When a powdery snow began falling Friday night and most of the day yesterday, even better!


It was so easy to see all the flakes and their beautiful details.  It's a treat when the forecast shows no snow and it showers down all day.  It's too bad it didn't amount to six inches, but we're going to look for more snow today.


See?  Tiny crystals!


I remember finding the most snowy part of a hill, after the bulk had melted, and sliding down as much as I could.  I was wearing out the snow, I guess.  For this snow, the pine needles covering the ground at the Roland Estate provided the extra slippery runway we needed.  It's so nice that they encourage us to play in that yard, too.  There are many times I really, really long to live in the country where we could spread out more in a yard of our own.


Willow spent several days, earlier in the week, on her snow crystal pictures.  We read Snowflake Bentley and The Big Snow among other stories, which gave her inspiration.  Her printing is coming along, I think.  She seldom uses capital letters out of place now.


We saw plenty of frozen waterfalls and icicles coming out of rocks on our drive through the Grandfather Mountain area.  I had her make a picture of the Ice Rocks from memory, since our visit is still a ways off.   Well, it's time to sign off and make waffles.  We got a waffle maker for Christmas and everyone is very excited!


4 comments:

  1. Brrr! That looks cold and hearing about frozen waterfalls too! Lots of snowy material for your lessons. Lovely! We are going to set up our winter Nature table soon despite it being mild- snowflakes are so beautiful! We will have them in the house if not outside! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some really mild weather in the middle of last week, but we are back to cold now, as it should be. Last winter, we covered the windows in paper snowflakes, even as the weather was so mild.

      Delete
  2. I don't blame you for spending extra time on your Winter blocks... that sounds just right to me. After all, this wonderful snowy, wintry time will live in your children's memories, so I say, by all means, revel in it. I love Willow's snowflake drawings. So nice that you all get to play at the Roland Estate, too. I do miss frozen waterfalls here! You make me want to research and find some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you can! Some areas have more than others, I guess, and Western NC is covered up in them. :-)

      Delete