Friday, December 29, 2017

Twelve Days of an Appalachian Christmas V :: A Community Christmas


Oh, it is so cold here!  I think it hasn't gotten out of the twenties since Sunday.  This was our nature table last year and I recreated something similar today.  I really love the little sledders!  Let's move along to our fifth day.

According to Christmas in the Mountains, people seldom celebrated Christmas the same way across the many communities of Southwest Virginia.  There simply wasn't much news that wasn't carried on foot or through the mail.  Jean Ritchie relays something very similar when she tells her sister's story of the Ritchie's first Christmas tree.  Can't you tell I love that album?  I discovered it when I was a midnight librarian.  It changed my perspective in a big way and I fell down a lot of Christmas rabbit holes.

Mr. Davis tells of a Mrs. Miller, aged ninety, and her recollections of Christmas celebrations in Pulaski County, VA.  When I made maps in Wythe County, I joked that all back roads led to Pulaski.  Anyway, her story comes from the 1850's and for them, Christmas began at 3:00 in the morning!  The residents would meet at the host's home for eggnog spiked with peach or apple brandy.

At six o'clock, breakfast was served and folks went home to tend to the chores.  Back again, they'd continue their celebrations with a shooting match and a big Christmas dinner.  A religious service in the afternoon completed the observance.

It sounds like a nice day, truly, and there are times when I long to see the Appalachia that is depicted in places like the Blue Ridge Parkway or The Great Smokies.  They were a hardy lot, for sure, and the spirit of community was probably very strong.  I get a taste of that at events like the Maple Syrup Festival, the Ramp Festival, and the Grayson Highlands Fall Festival.  Those are put on by a couple of volunteer fire departments and people really, really turn out for them.  It lifts the spirits to see young folks working alongside the older people.  I hope it goes on for a long, long time.

4 comments:

  1. That is one wild Christmas, getting up at 3am for spiked egg nog! I'd never make it! We're having a warm spell here, in the lower forties. With colder days to come, of course. I'm really enjoying this series. Thanks so much for doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be up, but I don't think I'd make it all day. I'd probably fall asleep during church. ;-) You are most welcome. I am inclined to feel humbug right now and this is cheering me up!

      Delete
    2. I too am enjoying the series! Sweet to see the sledders out again. Ours only come out mid Jan after the Kings have their moment on the Nature table 🙂 Wow spiked eggnog at 3am. That's seriously hardy! But I guess they went to bed early and were well awake by then? I remember how, working as a post woman in Germany in the winter in my twenties, many of the male workers would be on the sparkling wine at 4am on the weekend. It was enough for me to cycle to work every morning on the icy roads. It turned my stomach just smelling it! But it was super cold and snowy so I guess they were trying to cheer themselves up somehow. I ate lots of chocolate instead! They were clearly a hardy lot like the folks you mention! I wasn't planning to take a trip down memory lane in the comments! But I guess all this looking back is catching 😃

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I was in a bit of a hurry with Christmas this year, I'll admit. The tree was dry, we all taken turns being sick. Just done. :-( But! I am really enjoying doing these little write-ups and glad to have you along. That's a great memory! I'd have the chocolate right along with you. I think alcohol has warmed many a "hardy" soul on cold winter days. ;-)

      Delete