Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Twelve Days of an Appalachian Christmas II :: Christmas Customs Mishmash


The second chapter in Christmas in the Mountains concerns the history of Christmas traditions.  It includes the idea of celebrating Christmas later, which is well summed up in this article about Old Christmas.  The author of Christmas in the Mountains felt that the Southwest Virginia folks lost their unique old traditions when things became more connected through railroads, roads and television.  I do wish I could have asked my great-grandmother about her Christmas experiences, since her life was so long.

I find myself struggling to sort out what to say about the origins of our winter festivals and how we have melded them over the centuries.  Syncretism has been hard at work, and it becomes difficult to untangle ourselves in the mix of ancient traditions and those that are rather new.  There's this little History Channel piece on Christmas, which we enjoy watching, though we are not historians.  I'll admit that I like the long history of winter celebrations (unsavory customs aside), and feel a connection to people from long ago who celebrated the lengthening of days and return of the light.   

I really enjoy contemplating the mystery of this season as each year passes.  I think it is something I'll never finish unraveling.  What are your thoughts?  I promise more fun tomorrow. :-)

7 comments:

  1. Interesting reading. In some parts of Europe like Spain they celebrate Christmas at Epiphany, when all the shops are closed and the children receive their presents. It feels like a culmination of the twelve days and makes sense. Things have changed so much since we have had access to the wider world - through transport, media and now the internet and all its influences. It's hard to know which traditions are historical and from our ownnregion/country and which are relatively recent. We can pick and choose what suits us. It is interesting to find out other people's traditions. Being so cut off, the mountain folk could keep their traditions going longer I guess. Keep on sharing 🙂🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does seem to make a little more sense. I feel so inept, at times, trying to show my children how to be in the world when it is so different from even my own childhood. Yes, the isolation kept things going, along with a stronger sense of some conservative values.

      Delete
  2. Old Christmas! That was part of Ozark tradition as well, some people going so far as to refer to December 25th as "New Christmas." It was said that elderberry always sprouts on the eve of Old Christmas, and the bees buzz loudly exactly at midnight on Old Christmas Eve - thus proving January 6th to be the "true" Christmas. And aww... the old History Channel documentary with Harry Smith! :) I have to watch that again now; it's been years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the Ozarks have a lot in common with us, the little bit that I know. :-) I'm glad you like that documentary! We enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. "Old Christmas".... I first saw that mentioned in a work of historical fiction by Conrad Richter. I think it was The Fields, the second in his trilogy the Awakening Land. I enjoyed reading through your 12 days posts. As a Catholic convert, learning to celebrate Christmas for 12 days has been one of the most wonderful things ever. Long gone are the feelings of let down after a day of merry making on Dec. 25th. Having grown up Protestant, I have nothing to go by in regard to traditional 12 day customs, but I incorporate some of the fun things from my childhood into the days of Christmas. This has been very interesting. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting! I had not heard of him or his work. I wish you the best in forming your family's new traditions. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Brandy! I'm always happy to let people know about Conrad Richter, too. He's kind of a hidden gem.

      Delete