Thursday, December 7, 2017

Pudding in the Playhouse


As the wind picked up on Monday afternoon, so did my spirits.  Watching the trees sway, we mixed up a Christmas pudding while Laurel napped.  Willow chopped the nuts, I cut up apricots and soaked raisins, and Roan made the bread crumbs and stirred it all together.  I'll admit that I was worried it wouldn't turn out, but it did!


We had a little party in the playhouse to celebrate.  The children have helped me to put up lights this year, as I have been trying to really let them take hold of household work.  It takes longer and is a little messier, like the pudding efforts, but they feel really involved in the experience.  They trimmed the tree with sprigs of holly and Roan decorated the pudding.  You can see that he really likes candied orange peel.


We used Susan Branch's recipe from Christmas from the Heart of the Home, leaving out the dates and apple, since we didn't have them.  Roan buttered a bowl and some foil, and we set that in a soup pot with water for about three hours.  I made half of the hard sauce for myself, which was plenty, and left out the egg yolk (seeing as how you can't halve that).  I couldn't find the recipe online, so I took a picture for you all, if you want to give it a try.  It wasn't too sweet or spicy, though it is a rich dessert.  It was just right!

4 comments:

  1. Your pudding looks lovely! I guess you don't have store your version until Christmas...? :) I may keep this recipe in mind for Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No, this one is served right away. No funny taste!

      Delete
  2. Well done with the Christmas pudding. Looks lovely. Did you eat it straight away. No one I know had a recipe they could recommend. A friend of a friend who I haven't seen around usually makes hers in November to eat on Christmas Day (like some folks do with Christmas cake), but I wonder if you need strong alcohol in it to keep that long? I have to admit I just buy one as only my husband and I like the richness. Lovely that you could make it with the children and all their efforts look fantastic. Well done for letting them do lots of the decorating. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. The recipe didn't mention storing it, but serving warm. I thought about the ones that sit longer, but the alcohol would affect the taste. I think I might make a smaller one next time. :-)

      Delete