Monday, September 18, 2017

First Grade :: Week Two

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the weeks all year long, but I like using this space for accountability and accounting. It is so nice to have a visual record of what we've been doing in our school times.   Lately, we've finished up our first form drawing block for first grade.


Laurel has joined in with Roan, mostly a bystander, as he has worked.  She has tried some of the forms, though I have not encouraged her, and she can make recognizable shapes.  Here, she's doing the sun, which combines a curved line and straight ones.


The container story from Lavender's Blue corresponds very well with the forms being taught.  It's possible to make an entire picture of the story using the forms--straight, curve, beehive, flight of the bee, mountains, parallel straight line, sun (missing here) and hills.


Roan's drawings have a very early first grade feel to them, as they should.  He had no interest in drawing for the longest time and very little interest in writing.  He shows great patience with both tasks, with a little encouragement.  I know he has felt so proud after accomplishing each picture.

I'll be back later with third grade things.  We're off to the library!

3 comments:

  1. That bottom drawing, I just find so cute! Elizabeth's interest in drawing and writing definitely preceded Jack's - though now, he draws frequently and says that he enjoys it. You mentioned Laurel observing the schoolwork, and trying it out a bit... the younger child has such a different experience from the eldest, don't you find? I've been thinking about this quite a bit since we started this school year. Elizabeth is very observant of what her older sister is learning about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The Wise Woman telling the children their story as they are tucked in. Roan has been drawing many things he's never done before, and I think he is pleasantly surprise to see his abilities. His experience is different, yes. I needed gentler stories for him, for one thing, than what Enki offered. I'm am really liking the ability to both stretch and reach back that a mixed-age setting offers.

      Delete