Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Crafting On :: Finally!

Right away, here's the Blasted Bunny Hat--done! I'm so glad to be finished with it, as small as it seems. I think this yarn has a force field around it that makes it creep along. Everything I have made from it (like the Cyclone Hat) has taken forever. That's why I like worsted weight yarn. ;-)

Here's a giant granny square for Laurel made with Mandala. It's a lap size, I guess, and she uses it to wrap up dolls.  I wish the colorway had more green, of course.


Willow and Virginia got peasant shirts. Well, Virginia always gets a peasant shirt, but now Willow has her own. I am really enjoying this simple style for a child. There's lots of flexibility with embellishment and fabrics.

 

We dyed yarn with pokeberries for the children's knitting, spending just a few minutes collecting in the yards on our street. This came out really well, and we got the elusive red (it's hard to get a true color photo). Roan was very pleased about that. It think it's wonderful for this time of year, to be sure. I used these instructions, as well.   

My notes on this would include the following: we didn't remove the berries from the stems; we simmered the yarn in half vinegar/half water for an hour beforehand; the berries simmered the same amount of time with just water to cover; I simmered the yarn in the strained dye bath for about half an hour; and I allowed it to dry completely before I rinsed it.  Very little dye came out in the rinse, so I think it's a success!


Lastly, I've started another In Caps Tee for Willow's birthday. A friend gave me this cheery sport weight yarn a couple years ago. I know Willow will love the colors and I'm hoping it will hold out so I can finish it. I'm living on the edge! 

And that's it for me. We're expecting guests and some lovely Autumn weather later this week, so I am trying to tie up loose ends and keep on with school things. We've begun Roan's letter and Willow's measurement block. More on all that later! For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. I just Love that bunny hat and the red yarn is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a whole lot of crafting, all lovely. The blasted bunny hat is very cute. I can't believe you got red with pokeberries... I read your link. We might have to try that sometime. We got a beautiful magenta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hat made it to the recipient yesterday, so yay! I think any of the colors would have been nice. Pokeberries are such an easy and free thing to use around here. :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the rabbit hat it is super cute, beautiful granny square and blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for completing the hat - it is lovely! You have been so busy crafting again this week! The blouse is so pretty - lucky dolly and daughter! Funny how there isn't much green in the rainbow yarn - beautiful and uplifting colours nonetheless and I imageine your daughter loves it. The coloured yarn is beautiful. I don't even know what pokeberries are!! :-) I fancy dyeing yarn with the girls- looks like fun! Hope you are feeling a lovely sense of accomplishment from all your makings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is two weeks' worth. :-) But, yes, a flurry of activity. Pokeberries are considered a kind of weed here. They are poisonous, so we call them "bird berries" for the sake of the littlest. They really stain, so they are good for ink and dyes. Thanks--I do feel pleased.

      Delete