Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nature School :: Signs of Autumn at Raccon Branch

It was decidedly cooler last week.  Plans for swimming or other such hot weather activities have been put on hold, perhaps until next year.  The weather has turned wetter in the past few days, giving the world a damp, steamy feeling.  I suppose it will be prime mushroom weather.  This week, though, we had a comfortable hike on the Dicky Knob trail.


The stream was too cool to stick our toes in, so we took to climbing up the mountain.  Not all the way this time, but I can feel a longer hike coming on.  We simply weren't prepared.  We had enough enthusiasm, but we left our water bottles in the car and lunch back at home.


Hams on a log, something like that.  Laurel held a tiny little maple leaf all the way back.  You can see it pinched between her fingers here.  This trail that we were on captures the whole span of my life, practically.  I can think of so many memories, ones to share and others to keep just for myself.


The first Fall leaves!  Well, I've been seeing them for a month, but this was the most noticeable show.  The ground was littered with maple leaves and some of my Indicator Trees (old maples that always go first) were showing signs of impending hibernation.  It is funny to this that some trees only wear their leaves for 4-5 months around here.  November to May, at the shortest span, is pretty bare.

It's not really time for Autumn just yet, lest anyone should get worried.  My kitchen is made up of piles of tomatoes at all stages of ripeness.  I think today is the day to make the first sauce.  I grew Romas this year and they really, really produce!  The basic reds, beefsteaks, and the Mr. Stripeys are coming along nicely, too.  We can have all we want with plenty to spare.

Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Oh,these photos from your walk are wonderful! Your children are growing so big. And, Laurel's hair--gosh, those curls! I love late summer, it's like a season between seasons--the season of tomatoes, definitely! Wishing you a happy Sunday, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--they are getting big! There is so much expectation and hope this time of year, for me. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the picture of the 3 of them! And glimpses of autumn are so nice.

    ReplyDelete