Thursday, August 17, 2017

Late-Summer Bouquet

Mowing the berry patch one last time, I noticed the goldenrod buds are swelling with anticipation. That is the feeling of this time of year for me.  It is so full and there is so much waiting to see what will come in with the harvest.  Lots is coming in already.  More tomato sauce (not burned), more apples (so many apples), pears, and the grapes that are waiting.  I'm interested to see how the potato experiment came out, as well.  It has rained so much, after that dry spell, that it's too wet to do much in the big garden, other than to pick the gnarly, swollen tomatoes.  The grass has all greened again and looks shaggy, even after mowing it this past weekend.


The children picked bouquets for me, the first in some time.  Calendula, chamomile, marigolds, and one majestic pink rose.  Calendula loves to be picked, as do the marigolds, so I'm not minding if some of the blooms go for pleasure.  I suppose the calendula oil is its own pleasure, too.


I've never shared a list of links in this new space, so I think I'll do that.  I've been clearing out so much around the home and I like to do that with my bookmarks, too.  Here's a mix of clicks for the second half of August.

We're headed up and down to Buzzard Rock today, the lovely windswept spot in the photo up top, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

2 comments:

  1. Your photos are so beautiful! What a bountiful harvest you have coming in. I have a steady supply of little calendula bouquets, but I pick them myself. :) "If the Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise" was one of my grandmother's sayings! Looking forward to browsing all of those great looking links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, oh, the tomatoes we found yesterday! I think that saying covers a myriad of plan-spoiling possibilities. ;-)

      Delete