Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Crafting :: Little Folk

I made some sweet friends over the weekend, out of felt and wool.  The first is this little shepherd, who will help the children learn their Roman numerals.  This idea originated with Christopherus grade one, I believe, but I was inspired by a friend who had made her own shepherd.  The basic form and instructions were taken from Toymaking with Children


I love his simple, happy form.  He's going to do a great job taking care of the sheep.  I used a felted sweater for his body and some old natural roving for his hair and beard.  Must be ten years old, both of those things.  The sheep were purchased many years ago, before the children, and they have been grazing and gracing our nature tables since then.


This little mushroom person is from a De Witte Engel kit I got back at Christmas.  He's a patient fellow, waiting quietly in the grass.  Mushrooms are popping up this time of year, when the conditions are wet enough.  August was always my time for seeing them when I worked in the National Forest, so it seemed fitting I made him now.


I'm also working on a recorder case for myself, having finished the knitting and wet felting.  I'm planning some embellishments and then I'll be ready to share it.  Willow's working on a lamb puppet from Knitting for Children: A Second Book.  Roan has made his own knitting needles and will be starting with a lucet soon, so there will be that to share, as well.

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

2 comments: