Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Crafting On :: Work and Play

The days are full of outside tasks that are so pressing this time of year, along with some inside play when we are taking refuge from the heat.   Withe the new school year beginning in six weeks, I'm spending time studying and readying the house so that it feels more in order (sometimes). 


I consider working on play spaces to be crafting, since I try to think of new ways to encourage creativity and cooperation.  There are seasons that we need to have very few things out, or things that are more community property than special gifts.   


A piece of old driftwood scrubbed clean and a basket of shells have inspired new ways of play.  These gnomes were made by my dear friend Tanya a few years ago.  Here they are living under the sea.  Roan's gnome mines, of course.  He told me the other day that he had been mining diamonds and that he could see the gnomes inside them.  Here's a gnome in an undersea bathtub. 


I'll admit that I have felt like I have fallen off the wagon over the Summer.  Living day by day and week by week for six or seven weeks was a real period of challenge for our family.  I have been digging into my old favorite books for inspiration and centering.  The titles include: Toymaking with Children, All Year Round and our homeschool materials.  This is a wonderful time of year to prepare for school, I think, since the Summer energy has likely scattered our focus and we need some grounding.


I mailed off my portion of Celtic Myths yesterday.  This was a surprisingly quick knit, faster than other shawls that I have made, though I was given a free pass on doing the cables.  Roan said Tanya was a very good knitter, and he is right.  She will do a wonderful job completing the shawl.  I am excited to see photos.

Now that I've got a week until Christmas in July, I've cast on the Love Bunny Beanie for Becky.  I need a little more time to sit down, I think, so this will be the perfect motivation.  For now, though, it's time to get the laundry on the line and get ready for the day.

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see the gnomes being played with! And I hope to do the shawl justice; you've done such a good job with it.

    ReplyDelete