Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Crafting On :: Midsummer Mittens

Elizabeth Zimmerman said it does not pay to make mittens in a hurry, so I'm heading that advice for once. Also, my doctor advised taking good care of myself in the next few weeks, so knitting it is! I really feel so much better than I did a week ago, but there are still moments of feeling weak. Every day, I am more myself and I am making more mittens from Homespun, Handknit: Caps, Socks, Mittens & Gloves.


But, first! The Cyclone Hat is done at last! I don't like to leave projects hanging, so I had to get this one done.  It did feel like a long, Herculean effort, but it's over.  The weather has turned oddly cool this week, so maybe I can test it just a little.  The only part of the hat that I am not pleased with is the transition between rows.  I think I would ignore jogless joins and the like, if I ever made this hat again.  I'm interested to see how it performs in windy weather. 


I started the mitten frenzy with a pair for Laurel.  These are the Family Mittens from Homespun, Handknit.  The hand uses two strands of yarn held as one on big needles, so they are very fast to knit.  They were so fast that I didn't mind making them on double pointed needles.  My usual preference is to knit flat mittens (even with the seam).  They look like they will be pretty warm, as well.


Roan got a pair, too, that were made with the same level of efficiency.  His are just a bit wider, to accommodate his wide hands.  He was born with those wide hands.  I remember the midwives commenting on them.  I often wonder what he will be like as a man someday. . . . Oh, well.  Sentimentality aside, I think these will be great mittens for the two of them.  The yarn is one that likes to felt, so that should be just perfect as the cold weather goes on.  They are both so pleased.

Willow and I are last.  I'll be making the Lambsheep mittens for her, as she loves sheep so.  This has been The Year of the Sheep for her, from baby lambs in Spring to the book Weaving a Rainbow to her little tooth gift a couple weeks ago.  My own mittens are going to be the Sideways Mystery Mittens.   I cut a hole in a pair of mine last Winter when I was collecting holly, so it's time for holly-colored mittens!

For more crafting, visit Frontier Dreams.

7 comments:

  1. Nice small projects for the summer. I am making socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Socks--now that is a bug that has yet to bite me. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Small projects are so satisfying - not quite instant gratification, but work well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I felt like I'd been puttering on that hat for so long, it's nice to have quick things to make.

      Delete
  3. That hat looks like a challenge. Well done for finishing it! The colours look great! Good for you for getting ahead of things with those mittens. Nice to have a short project, especially on double points! I think it might make some fingerless gloves and finish those cowls I started, so we are ready for the colder months too :-) Saying that I dream of making myself a short sleeved cardi like my girls....hmmnn...hopefully there will be plenty of knitting time when we go travelling and new yarns to try out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprisingly easy, but very tedious. One row is k,p over and over, while the next is knit in another color. I guess that makes it take about twice as long as it should! :-D I vote for the short-sleeved cardigan--wonderful all year round!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete